Nobody likes finding mould or damp in their house. It’s unsightly, it certainly doesn’t give off a welcoming aroma, and it can cause structural damage. The problem is, once you find it, it is hard to deal with. 
Unless you call in the professionals that is. 
There are some that will attack it with household products and chemical cleaners found in their kitchen. Although this might help stem the tide, eventually the mould is likely to return, and you will have the same fight again. 
It is more important that you deal with the issue by bringing in the experts, after all living with damp and mould does more than damage your property. It can have serious repercussions on your health. 
Damp and mould can affect your health

How does damp and mould cause health issues? 

Damp is caused by excess moisture in your home. It has either made its way inside your property from the outside, or from condensation that has formed within the building. Bad ventilation, and poorly heated homes cause damp through condensation. Damp, or humid conditions, create the perfect petri dish in which mould can grow. 
Mould can vary in appearance, depending on how serious the mould infection is. Like many fungi, mould produces spores that allow it to keep reproducing and growing. These spores are responsible for most of the health problems caused by damp and mould within the home. 
But what damage can they actually do? 

Respiratory issues caused by mould and damp 

Among the most common complaints from those living in mouldy homes are respiratory problems. 
Coughing, wheezing, or a tight chest are very common symptoms. Although they are usually mild, these symptoms can become more severe in prolonged exposure. 
More specific symptoms of a respiratory infection include: 
a blocked and/or runny nose 
sinus pain 
a sore throat 
If you experience this over a long period of time, it could be symptomatic of mould in your home. 
Mould and Damp

Skin issues caused by mould and damp 

Another common issue caused by spores are blotches and rashes on your skin. 
These rashes are caused by an allergic reaction to the mould spores. This can affect people already prone to skin breakouts. People with eczema are particularly at risk. But that doesn’t mean people without underlying conditions are immune. 
According to the NHS, allergic skin rashes common present as: 
dry, red or cracked skin 
raised, itchy, red rash or hives 
watery red eyes or conjunctivitis 
If you experience any of these symptoms it is important that you visit your doctor or other NHS professional. 

Preventing health issues in the home 

Although the most at risk are young children, the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions, this does not mean that you are immune. If you find damp, or mould, in your home then it is advisable that you act immediately. 
To protect yourself and your family, contact an expert in rising damp and they can come and survey your home to see the problem and diagnose a method to get rid of the problem. 
If you are worried about mould in your home, please feel free to contact us at any time by calling 01604 652 920 or email us on 
Tagged as: Mould
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings